Red Coconut Curry with Chickpeas
Hope you are having a great week!
I made up my own Red Coconut Curry with Chickpeas recipe to use up some of the items I have had for a while in both my cupboard and refrigerator. It was on the milder side of curries I usually make but I enjoyed it just the same. This makes around 3 servings and since I cook for myself, I had leftovers for at least two more meals.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- ginger (freshly grated or powder)
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp red curry paste (I use this one here)
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 1/2 cup of frozen corn
- 1/2 carrot strips
- a stalk of celery cut in small pieces
- handful of fresh spinach
optional spices to add:
- 1-2 tsp curry powder
- 1-2 tsp nutmeg
- 1-2 tsp turmeric
- heat olive oil in a pot on medium heat
- mince garlic & grate ginger, then add to pot to fry off until fragrant (usually 1-2 minutes)
- stir in red curry paste and any other spices (I used curry powder and nutmeg)
- add in coconut milk and chickpeas, cook for 8-10 minutes
- toss in any vegetables - I used peas, corn, carrots, & celery this time but I also like to add snow peas, bamboo shoots, thai mushrooms, etc.
- add in your spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes
- serve hot with white rice or noodles
PRO-TIP: If you like a lot of spice, add in more red curry paste. But be warned, it is very flavorful and a little goes a long way.
I also have made this recipe with shrimp and chicken before. I love how adaptable a curry can be to what ingredients you have on hand.
Although this recipe is Thai-inspired, I also like Japanese and Indian curries. What is your favorite curry recipe?